Individual Tax Return Basics:
Home office expenses Running cost and Occupancy expenses
You may be entitled to claim deductions for home office expenses:
- Running costs may be deductible.
- Occupancy expenses are generally not deductible for an employee.
- You must keep records.
If you perform some of your work from a home office, you may be entitled to a deduction for the costs you incur in running it, including:
- for home office equipment, such as computers, printers and telephones, the cost (for items costing up to $300) or decline in value (for items costing $300 or more).
- work-related phone calls (including mobiles) and phone rental (a portion reflecting the share of work-related use of the line) if you can show you
– are on call, or
– have to phone your employer or clients regularly while you are away from your workplace
- heating, cooling and lighting
- the costs of repairs to your home office furniture and fittings
- cleaning expenses.
As an employee, you are generally not able to claim a deduction for occupancy expenses, which include rent or mortgage interest, council rates, and house insurance premiums.
Please click on the link for the Home office expenses calculator: Home office expenses calculator
Records you must keep
You must keep records of home expenses – these can be:
- receipts or other written evidence of your expenses, including receipts for depreciating assets you have purchased
- diary entries you make to record your small expenses ($10 or less) totalling no more than $200, or expenses you cannot get any kind of evidence for, regardless of the amount
- itemised phone accounts from which you can identify work-related calls, or other records, such as diary entries (if you do not get an itemised account from your phone company)
- a diary you have created to work out how much you used your equipment, home office and phone for business purposes over a representative four-week period.
Source: The Australian Tax Office
Looking for an Accountant to prepare your Individual Tax Return?
Extensive experience in a broad scope of services
Our broad range of services include the following: